Scorpio was part of the extensive orders placed by the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company in 1935 to modernise their fleet. Working with different partners in the Grand Union Carrying fleet, carrying around 25 tons of goods, until nationalisation in 1948 when the boat was transferred to British Waterways Transport. On the dissolution of the transport fleet Scorpio was passed to the Maintenance Division where she remained carrying the goods required for the maintenance of the waterways.
Since joining the Heritage Working Boats Project, Scorpio has had the back cabin fully restored to how it would have been in the early days of life as a working boat. Scorpio can often be seen around the canals of the Midlands towing the butty Leo.